SQL Server Performance

configuration package.

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Integration Services' started by fmardani, Aug 8, 2007.

1. fmardani New Member

I have created a package configuration to read the connectionstring for the oledb connection manager.
    Saved the file as Environment.dtsConfig in the same directory as the other packages.
    Do the packages refer to the configuration file automatically?
    Does it make a difference if I use the dtexec to start the ssis packages since there is now a configuration file?
    Thanks
  2. satya Moderator

With that XML configuration file is that each of your packages can point their package configurations at the same XML file which means settings that are pertinent to all packages only have to be changed in one place.
    The configuration file used to refer for the packages automatically.
  3. fmardani New Member

I guess I am abit confused now.
    Do you mean each package should have a configuration package. And one xml file can be used for all the packages?
    Thanks
  4. satya Moderator

Are you going to use same connection string for all the packages, then it should work without any issues. 1 config file is enough to share across multiple packages.
  5. fmardani New Member

yes, same connectionstring for all the packages.
    At present the packages are created on my dev pc. There is also a configuration file with the connectionstring.
    Now I exported one of the packages and the configuration file to the live machine.
    The error is to do with the configuration path.
    Description: The configuration file name "S:ImportsTradesEnvironment.dtsConfig" is not valid. Check the configuration file name.
    This file does inded exist in that directory.
    Any suggestions pls?
  6. satya Moderator

Have you copied this config file from a different computer?
    If sob ecause the values of the environment variables on the destination computer differ from the values of the environment variables on the development computer, several warnings appear on the Package Validation page.
  7. fmardani New Member

Yes, I copied it from my dev pc to the live server.
  8. fmardani New Member

Both the configuration file (dev and prod) are exactly the same.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
    - <DTSConfiguration>
    - <DTSConfigurationHeading>
    <DTSConfigurationFileInfo GeneratedBy="EUGTUD099GBPakd" GeneratedFromPackageName="BaseProfiles2" GeneratedFromPackageID="{D441158B-8A31-4FE7-B051-3262737F74D6}" GeneratedDate="08/08/2007 10:11:04" />
    </DTSConfigurationHeading>
    - <Configuration ConfiguredType="Property" Path="Package.Connections[CounterpartyExposure].Properties[ConnectionString]" ValueType="String">
    <ConfiguredValue>Data Source=servername1instancename1, 2025;Initial Catalog=CounterpartyExposure;Provider=SQLNCLI.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Auto Translate=False;</ConfiguredValue>
    </Configuration>
    </DTSConfiguration>
  9. dineshasanka Moderator

yes you can use same configuration file. But you have to configure each package to point to this configuration file.
    Check the paths of dev and live server are the same.
    If you are saving passwords in configuration , you have to manuaaly add the password for the .config xml file. Check that as well
  10. fmardani New Member

Ok, thanks.
    Solved.