SQL Server Performance

Configuring memory when mulitple instances on a Active/passive cluster

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by jsciii, Nov 15, 2007.

1. jsciii New Member

I hve 4 instances running on one node of a two node cluster. When I look at task manager on the active node I see that one instance is using 5gb (of 8gb total) of RAM. The other instances are using less than .5 gb. There is very little memory left free.
    I have read that you should not set min/max values for an instance on a cluster but with the uneven balance going on I wonder if I should set it for at least this one instance, if not all. Can someone give me some advice?
    Also, how can I get the instance to release the memory without having to stop/start it?
    Thanks....JC III
  2. satya Moderator

Don't go with TasK Manager at all the times, to be more specific on the system usage use SYSMON (PERFMON) counters.
  3. jsciii New Member

Thanks, I used Perfmon to look at the memory usage and one instance is using most of the RAM.
    Can someone give me some insite on how I should configure memory on a multi-instance cluster?
    Thanks
  4. satya Moderator

For multiple instance on same node I would go with Min & max memory settings, but this depends on full end to end testing of your application about how it is performing well within the memory restrictions. By default leaving dynamic settings will give chance to the serve to deal with such requests, but when you have or getting any slow performance look with SYSMON counters on resources usage.
  5. satya Moderator

Do you have dynamic setting of memory on all those SQL instances?
  6. jsciii New Member

Yes, all the instances do not have a min/max set. What would be the best way to handle?