SQL Server Performance

Configuring MSDTC on the Passive Node

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by DBADave, Jun 17, 2008.

1. DBADave New Member

We followed Microsoft's instructions for configuring MS DTC using the Cluster Administrator http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301600/. The last step in the process says Complete the steps that are documented in Knowledge Base article 817064. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817064
    Should the steps in 817064 be performed against both nodes? I assume they should.
    I also noticed the MS DTC service is stopped on the second node and set to manual. I assume this should be left in manual mode and that during a failover I must manually start MS DTC on the second node. Is this correct? The reason why I assume it should be left in manual mode is that MS DTC relies on a physical disk resource. That disk in a clustered environment is located on the SAN, which the primary node can access. Since the passive node cannot access the physical disk under normal operations it would not have access to the physical disk resource and therefore MS DTC would not be able to run. Is this correct?
    Thanks, Dave
  2. satya Moderator

Yes, as we did the same on only node and when failover happens there is step in the plan to enable it again.
    Also fine print on one of those KBAs:
    You only have to install the MS DTC once in Cluster Administrator and MSDTC will be configured on all nodes in the cluster. You do not have to install MS DTC manually on each node.
  3. DBADave New Member

Hi Satya,
    Doesn't the fine print refer to the configuration of the three MS DTC resources and not the actual enabling of MS DTC? In the same documentation it references the KB article about installing MS DTC through the ADD/Remove Programs and also Component Services. We noticed that doing this on only the primary node doesn't appear to install MS DTC on the secondary node. When we went to ADD/Remove Programs on the secondary node and followed the same steps, the Application Server checkbox was not selected and from within Component Services MS DTC settings were also not checked. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the doc?
    That being said we also have one cluster where we completed forgot to follow the remainder of the instructions to enable MS DTC and only configured the three MS DTC Cluster Resources (IP Address, Network Name and Physical Disk). However linked server communications is working just fine.
    Thanks, Dave