SQL Server Performance

Confirming jdbc driver 2.1 for sql server 2005 is installed correctly

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by Trev256, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Trev256 New Member

1 - How can you confirm the jdbc driver version 2.1 is installed correctly?
    2 - The instructions in the install doc says to unzip in the the 'program files' directory with the default folder name. Is this all that is required?
  2. satya Moderator

I don't think so, this is what I did previousLY:Installation Instructions for the Microsoft Windows version of the JDBC Driver
    1. Download sqljdbc_<version>_<language>.exe to a temporary directory.
    2. Run sqljdbc_<version>_<language>.exe.
    3. Enter an installation directory when prompted. We recommend that you unpack this zip file in %ProgramFiles% with the default directory: "Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver 2.0".
    4. After the package unpacks, open the JDBC Help System by opening %InstallationDirectory%Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver 2.0sqljdbc_<version><language>helpdefault.htm. This will display the help system in your Web browser.
    Installation Instructions for the UNIX version of the JDBC Driver
    1. Download sqljdbc_<version>_<language>.tar.gz to a temporary directory.
    2. To unpack the zipped tar file, navigate to the directory where you want the driver unpacked and type gzip -d sqljdbc_<version>_<language>.tar.gz.
    3. To unpack the tar file, move it to the directory where you want the driver installed and type tar –xf sqljdbc_<version>_<language>.tar.
    4. After the package unpacks, open the JDBC Help System by opening %InstallationDirectory%/Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver 2.0/sqljdbc_<version>/<language>/help/default.htm. This will display the help system in your default Web browser.
  3. Trev256 New Member

What does step 4 do? If I open up default.htm and this opens up the help system in the default web browser, does this prove the JDBC driver is correctly installed?
  4. satya Moderator

Yes and you can even try to connect the application using that driver-connection.
  5. Trev256 New Member

Thanks satya. OK, so this proves the JDBC driver is correctly installed, by just opening the HTML help page. But how can I test connection?
    I read up on this and it mentions setting the classpath variable. I have compared this with our test setup and this environment variable isn't set. I'm assuming I don't need to set the environment variable 'classpath'.
    When you say 'using that driver connection' how to I set this in the application?
  6. satya Moderator