SQL Server Performance

Connecting to subscriber instance via business logic handler...

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by gcetti, Jul 2, 2008.

1. gcetti New Member

Hello,
    I have a customer resolver for replication where I am trying to open up a connection to the subscriber to execute stored procedures when synchronizing the data.
    This seems to work well with a LAN configuration, but when it is configured for a web synchronization, the Open fails for the database connection. The connection string is valid - but it appears on a web synch the custom resolver is executed on the web server, and it is unable to open the SQL instance over the web. On the LAN the custom resolver is executed on the subscriber machine.
    It is able to open the publisher connection on the web synch.
    How can I open up a connection to the subscriber database in my custom resolver over the when it is used for web synchronization? Is their a replication configuration setting that I can make this work?
    Thanks for any help,
    Greg
  2. satya Moderator

Do you see any timeout errors or warnings ont hel og?
  3. gcetti New Member

No - its a matter of it not being able to see the SQL instance, which makes sense because it is done over the web, and the subscriber instance is not exposed.
    Is there a better way to do this than to expose all the subscribers sql instances over the internet? Is their a way I can connect to the subscriber from the business logic handler w/o having to deal with the administrative headaches that would come with that?
    I'm trying to understand the differences between replicating on LAN vs Web, and where the business logic thread is executed from, and what is in scope. It seems as though the business logic handler should have access to both databases - how else are we to perform our validations/stored procedures?
  4. satya Moderator