SQL Server Performance

Connection errors, timeouts - HELP! Urgent!

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by sql_jr, Dec 3, 2010.

1. sql_jr New Member

We have a SQL 2008 cluster, and are having increasing, sporadic,and constant timeouts and dropped connections.
    Even with our local SSMS on the server itself, I get connection errors, and then, sometimes it connects.
    More important, one app cannot connect at all, and just keeps timing out.
    One admin disabled Shared memory protocol - but this would just affect local instance, correct? I have told them to turn it back on
    Where and how can I set up and try to troubleshoot these errors? Please help ASAP!!!
  2. Adriaan New Member

Well, there are timeouts, and there are timeouts. Does everything time out, even a call for SELECT GETDATE()?
    If it were a simple installaton, with the SIMPLE recovery model, I'd start looking into available disk space and the file growth settings for the log (also for tempdb's log). Once you run out of available diskspace, everything will grind to a halt.
  3. sql_jr New Member

Thx All resources are available. space ok, BUT, which i know can affect performance but not connection timeouts, the tempdb has too many files. (16),
    Also, a few of these:

SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x80090311 while establishing a connection with integrated security; the connection has been closed. [CLIENT: IPAddress]
    Please advise tia
  4. Adriaan New Member

You need to have more specific information about exactly what kind of processes are timing out. For instance, is it always when executing specific stored procedures, is it always when being called by a specific client app, ...
    There are some terrific articles here at the site to help improve performance, and actually they're pretty good at explaining what can cause bad performance (such as lots of timeouts) - check out http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tips/performance_main.aspx