SQL Server Performance

Connection problem Error:10054

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by khan, Jun 9, 2008.

1. khan New Member

I am trying to register a SQL 2000 server from the SQL Management Studio of a SQL 2005 Server. I get the following error
    TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------
    Cannot connect to xx.xx.xx.32.
    ------------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10054)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    everyone is point to the following link but i am not entirely sure this is the case from me as i dont have any ssl installed.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919710/en-us
    Please advise how do i debug the problem.
    I can ping/telnet:1433 to the server without any problem
    I have disabled the shared memory in in sql native client configuration and changed the tcp/ip protocal as the first in the order list.

2. MohammedU New Member

Try the query window and force your connection to use TCP and NP and see what you get...
    tcp:<server name>
    np:<Server name>
  3. khan New Member

tcp:server1 gives the following error in the query window is the sytax correct ?
    Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
    Incorrect syntax near 'server1'.
    however if i try this i still get the same error:
    C:Documents and SettingsSqlservice>sqlcmd -S tcp:10.xx.xx.xx
    HResult 0x2746, Level 16, State 1
    TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
    Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Native Client : Communication link failure.