SQL Server Performance

Connection string in SQL SERVER 2005

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by cutiepie, Nov 7, 2005.

1. cutiepie New Member

Hi all,
    I am trying to make a connection string for the SQL SERVER..in all the sites i m getting
    To connect to SQL Server running on the same computer

oConn.Open "Provider=sqloledb;" & _
    "Data Source=(local);" & _
    "Initial Catalog=myDatabaseName;" & _
    "User ID=myUsername;" & _
    "Password=myPassword"

but i cant understand where should i write this?????in the QUERY WINDOW(it doesnt work)...where exactly should i write this connection string....
    unlike in oracle there is NET MANAGER where i can just create a new SERVICE NAME....but here can someone PLEASEEEEE tell me??????????
    any help will be greatly APPRECIATED
    Regards.
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

3. satya Moderator

Cutepie,
    Is this related to SQL 2005?

Satya SKJ
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  4. cutiepie New Member

hi,
    yes of course this is related to sql server 2005 only...coz i m lookin for a string in there only....and also..the site provided...i know that...i told you that in al the sites it tells that i have to write these drivers and all...but none of them tell me where do i have to WRITE A CONNECTION string...i m really very CONFUSEDDDD....can someone please tell me...where exactly i have to specify the CONNECTION STRING????
    THANKS A LOT FOR ALL THE REPLIES....
    Regards.
  5. satya Moderator

Which application you are using to connect?

Satya SKJ
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  6. satya Moderator

7. cutiepie New Member

Thanks a lot for all your replies....i was just wondering...where should i write all these codes that are given in the sites that u gave me...but now...inside the VISUAL STUDIO 2005 that comes with the sql server 2005 only....there is something like BUSINESS INTELEGENCE SQL SERVER(sql server integration service)...there in databases i made new database and then using the ODBC FILE...that asked me to BUILD A CONNECTION STRING(without any program)....just by graphical user interface....i gave all the specifications...n now on the right hand side corner...it shows my CONNECTION STRING....so the problem is solved...without any programming...
    thanks a lot for all the replies..i reallly appreciate ur help..
    regards..
  8. satya Moderator

I feel you must have specified about the application used to connect SQL 2005.

Satya SKJ
  9. Madhivanan Moderator

What is your Front End Application?
    Are you using VB/ASP.NET to connect to SQL Server 2005?

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
  10. cutiepie New Member

hi,
    thats the point...that i dunno anythin about the SQL SERVER...i have just started learning it...n at my work..the ppl told me to find the connection string...n i didnt know which application n all i have to use...i can c u have many posts there...can you suggest me the RIGHT WAY...wat exactly i should b doing...i mean just step by step..how to use it n all???though i found a way but i dunno if its the right one or not????
    SINCE u asked me about these front end and all....so will you b SO kind to tell me how to deal with it in a CORRECT way?????i will really appreciate ur help...
    thnks,
    regards.
  11. satya Moderator

Refer to the links above as a good start and chalk out the process you're following by specifying your environment.

Satya SKJ