SQL Server Performance

Consistency in Flying

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Nov 17, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

A lot of people do not like flying for various reasons; this can be because of a fear of flight or maybe it is because of other reasons such as a dislike of the food (or lack thereof) served on flights. However, I think the biggest reason that people do not like flying is due to the inconvenience of airport security. In fact I know some people that will not fly unless there is no other transport alternative available. Although security is extremely important I think that the biggest issue is the inconsistency in security practices when flying. For example, some airports require belts and shoes to be taken off whereas other airports don't require these procedures to be followed. As a result of this inconsistency the security lines can often be chaos in an airport as people are unsure of what do to.
    This consistency is something that is not only important in airport security but also in a SQL Server environment. For example, if the maintenance jobs are named MAINT on one server and DBA on another server, then the same chaos can occur. It means that a database administrator is unsure of what the job does and needs to check what the procedure is. Do you have a standard nomenclature and build process that you use to ensure that each SQL Server instance in your environment is consistent?
    - Peter Ward