SQL Server Performance

Continual Learning

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Feb 20, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

Something that I am a big advocate of is ongoing professional development. Like many people who are in the IT profession, I went to university in order to be educated and receive formal qualifications. The problem is that this education experience could be 5, 10 or maybe even 20 years ago. Skills in products such as PASCAL or COBOL have been replaced with new skills such as C#. Now, although organisations still use legacy products such as those that were tough at university in the past, their relevance is diminishing.
    Recent studies have shown that people who keep mentally active through ongoing learning suffer less brain-related diseases and on average live longer than those who are not mentally active. I have started to read a book called 'The Brain that Changes' that explains the phenomenon known as neuroplasticity. The theory is that by exercising and conditioning the brain we can in effect increase the percentage of our brain that can be utilised, just as exercise can be used to improve overall performance in an athlete and help rehabilitate injuries. Do you have a formal plan in place to exercise your brain and continue to seek new knowledge?
    - Peter Ward
  2. jerryhung New Member

Yes, I doMCP and MCITP are the first stepsParticipate in discussions and communities also help
  3. pward New Member

I agree that participating in discussions is a great way to learn as you get to see how different people would solve the problem.
  4. Anonymous New Member

Pingback from Pages tagged "continual"