SQL Server Performance

copy data from production to development (is it possible using SSIS)?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Integration Services' started by jethrojaw, Jul 15, 2008.

1. jethrojaw New Member

For discussion, I have the following setup:
    production:
    table a - column a, b, c table b - column r, s, t table c - column x, y, z
    development:
    table a - column a, b, c, d table b - column r, s, t, w table c - column x, y, z, zz
    There are foreign key constraints between these tables.
    I want to copy the data in the production tables into the development tables (table a to table a, table b to table b, etc.)
    Can I use SSIS to perform all the necessary task to do this (disable constraints, truncate table, extract, etc.)?
    What if the situation is complicated by the fact that there are over 10000 tables? Is doing this via SSIS a manually intensive process where you have to hand script the tasks?
    Thanks,
    Jethro
  2. ndinakar Member

SSIS will work just fine.. if you dont need the data in those tables in your development environment you can just drop the tables (removing the constraints first of course), pump the data in, then add the constraints..or you could disable the constraints, pump the data, enable them with NOCHECK ..
    If you really have 10000 tables, I'd recommend just backing up the database from the production server and restoring onto the dev server..