SQL Server Performance

CPU is low when Profiler is running

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by Narine, May 23, 2008.

1. Narine New Member

Hi all,
    I've observed a very strange occurance on our SQL Server 2005 server. This server has a CPU bottleneck, CPU usage is between 80-95% throughout the day. I turn on the Profiler to capture the slow running queries with high CPU. AS soon as I do that CPU usage goes down to a desirable usage 20-35%.
    I thought this was a coinsidence the first 5 times, but after doing this 15 times in a row I'm pretty certain there some sort of impact on CPU whenever Profiler is running. Has anyone else wintessed this bizzare occurance?
    Thanks
    Narine
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Absolute bizzare.
    Now, what are you using to monitor CPU?
  3. Narine New Member

Luis,
    I went back and forth between the Task Manager and the Performance Monitor to watch CPU
    Thanks
    Narine
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

Don't use Task Manager.
    Using only Performance Monitor, with process --> sqlsrv %time, what do you have?
  5. Narine New Member

Thanks, Luis. I never used this counter before. So before I run the Profiler, Average process-->sqlsrv %time is 240.
    Once Profiler is started it drops to 37....Weird...
  6. Luis Martin Moderator

Then I have no idea at all.[:$]
    Wait for others members opinions.
  7. alent1234 New Member

completely normal, the offending users have a sixth sense and know exactly when you are trying to catch them
  8. satya Moderator

What is the service pack level on SQL?
  9. Narine New Member

HI Satya,
    We're SP2 Cumulative Update 5.
    Thanks