SQL Server Performance

CPU Time and Memory Usage

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by tariq745, Oct 4, 2007.

1. tariq745 Member

Hi guysJust want to ask, my SQL box task manger showing that SQLservr.exe is using 1.3gb of memory and its CPU time is 24:15:27. System idle process CPU time is 266:41:56. I have not seen anything like this before. I have allocated 1.4gb to SQL Server through EM. I also have seen CPU usage spiking up to 95%. There are no locks. One error in SQL log error:15457, Severity:0, state:1. I am using SQL Server 2000 (ent edition) on windows 2003. Intel Pentium dual core (using 3 processors for SQL Server and 1 processor for windows). I have rebooted the server day before yesterday. I will also tell you that last week some virus brought our network down. I have scanned the server no viruses and I have also ran dbcc checkdb command. Server still have 24gb free space. My questions to you guys are: Is it normal to see SQLservr.exe taking that much memory?Why SQLservr.exe CPU time is 24:15:27?Why system idle process CPU time is 266:41:56? Thanks.
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

The system idle process time is telling you how much time was spent doing nothing on a server. It is very common for system idle time to be the highest process time of all the processes on your server. And on most SQL Servers, I would expect sqlservr.exe to be the number two highest CPU time. This is all very normal.
    Also, if you have allocated SQL Server to use 1.4GB, and it is using 1.3GB, that would be typical, as SQL Server will automatically use as much as it can, assuming it needs it.
    The question I have to ask is, do you think your server is performing well, or do you think it can perform faster. If you think it can perform faster, then I would suggest you follow the performance audit procedure outlined on this website.
  3. tariq745 Member

well it is running kind of slow. I think it can do a little better. I will do the audit and put my result here.
    Thanks for your help.
  4. satya Moderator

5. paulsenk New Member

Dear it is surely slower than what it should be at 24GB free space. You need to go for auditing to improve efficiency of your server! Anyway good luck man!