SQL Server Performance

Create custom view based on existing view

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by StevieB, Feb 17, 2010.

1. StevieB New Member

Hello
    I am SQL newbie so please forgive my ignorance. I have a database of software inventory. One of the tables has all software applications installed in our environment. I have to create two reports one that list each application along with the total installed for each office, the second report is to provide counts for only the approved software. There are about 300 applications on our approved software list. Because there is nothing common to any of these application names I can not query for them easily. Is there a way for me to build a new table or view or something where I can build a approved software list that pulls from the software list.
    Please advise.
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    If this is a third-party application, you may not be able to create new objects in their database. It may work to create another database, maybe using MS Access, create your new table there, add linked tables to your SQL Server database and do your reporting from this Access database.
  3. StevieB New Member

SMS collects the data and stores it in sql. I have been providing sms reports to the client. The client wants the ability to manipulate the reports without having knowledge of sql. Currently, the sms report is copied into excel and manipulated. I thought a better solution would be to have the sms/sql query run to produce a pivot table in excel. The pivot table list all software applications via office location (active directory ou). The client can go through the list a limit how many applications they want to see counts for. The problem is the list of approved software is pretty long and the client would have to check each application one by one. If possible I dont want to add another application (msaccess) into this process. Is there no way that I can customize sql so that it will give me an approved list of software.