SQL Server Performance

Create Partition i nexisting table

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by pora, Jan 30, 2013.

1. pora New Member

Hi,
    We have sql serer 2005 and database is very big and some of the tables are very big.
    We have three Database - SearchDb, MSDB1, MSDB2
    SearchDB has table called - KeyTab and it has PK field called ID which has Identity and another column called AU_ID which is served as
    Key Field to join another table and another table has same field.
    We are planning to add new column called Group ID and make it as Partition Column, this group id will consist in a three Range/group
    1, 2, 3 which will we our partition.
    Once i add the column Group Id into table. I need to create the partition into this existing table.
    1) I will add the three file group into existing table using following:
    2) Create the partition Function
    3) Create the Partition Scheme
    Now i need to create the procedure to Insert the data into different Partition using following criteria:
    Check the AU_ID into SearchDB.KeyTab and compare with MSDB1.AUSUMTab and
    if StartDate > today's Date then Insert into Partition 1 of SearchDB Database of Partitioned Table KeyTab
    if StartDate < today's Date then Insert into Partition 2 of SearchDB Database of Partitioned Table KeyTab
    and another logic for EndDate i need to add as
    if EndDate < today's Date then Insert into Partition 3 of SearchDB Database of Partitioned Table KeyTab
    Could you please guide me that my above steps are right and also how i can write the Procedure to Insert data into Partition?
    Thanks,
  2. satya Moderator

First things first, what is the edition of SQL Server you are using here?
    the steps you have defined are clear enough but still little more visibility is required to test this implementaiton.