SQL Server Performance

Creating a Reputation

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Dec 29, 2008.

  1. shanetasker New Member

    In the restaurant industry, reputation is one of the most important things. If a restaurant has poor service or serves food that is not prepared to a satisfactory standard, it is not long before the restaurant has a bad name. Even if the standards of the restaurant lift, it's very hard for a restaurant to recover from bad press and often it will go out of business as a result. Likewise though if a restaurant receives great reviews or a Michelin Star often the restaurant staff will rest on their laurels knowing that their good reputation means that they do not need to work as hard as they did in the past (although this can be often to their detriment).
    Just like the restaurant industry, being a SQL Server professional is also based around reputation. Have you wondered why some DBA's and developers always seem to work with the best companies and on the most interesting projects? These are also typically the people that earn more money as well. Most of this is based around reputation, as only about 20% of jobs are ever advertised and the other 80% are offered based on reputation. Reputation can be earned in many different ways. Apart from doing a great job, there are other ways to accelerate building reputation such as posting on forums, blogging or presenting at a conference. So what are you doing to help build your reputation as SQL Server Professional?
    - Peter Ward

Share This Page