SQL Server Performance

Creating dynamic columns in the report

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services' started by danny123, Mar 26, 2008.

1. danny123 New Member

Hi there,
    I have one table which holds all the information for the forms and i have another table which holds list of all the form fields. Now these two tables are mapped and that table give me list of all the fields in any forms.
    To get the information about the users who filled different forms first i need to query the tblFormsToFormFields and get the list of all the fields for that form and then use that fields list in the select query to get the result.
    In my report i need to provide the drop down with the list of all the forms and then display the information for all the customers for that particular form with the list of the form fields.
    Is there in SSRS 2005 i can use C# or any programming language to create Columns in the report dynamically as there will be different fields for each form.
    Please advice.
    Thanks
    Danny
  2. satya Moderator

3. chamindasomathilaka New Member

I need to do the same kind of report. But I can't use programatically report generation. Also I searched on the web for a good article about how this can be done with Matrix in SSRS 2005, but I am unable to find a good one.Can you please let me know if there is a good article that I can follow.
  4. Sandy New Member

Hi Danny,
    1st of all I want to know what method you type report you are to display the data, Is it tabular or Matrix report?
    2nd: Are you using query or stored procedure to get the information?
    [quote user="danny123"] Is there in SSRS 2005 i can use C# or any programming language to create Columns in the report dynamically as there will be different fields for each form.[/quote]
    Yes, you can have dynamic report in SSRS 2005 but not using any programming code but using the matrix report
    Let us know what type of problem you are facing so we can help you for the same.
    Thank you,
    Sandy.
  5. chamindasomathilaka New Member

Hi Sandy,I need to use matrix for my report, but for my case both columns and rows are dynamic. That is they are not finite at the design time and they may change for given set of parameters. Even there is no maximum possible number of columns or rows for report. So will I still be able to use Matrix ? IF yes please provide me a article or reference that I can use or please provide sum guidance to me to start off.Thanks,Chaminda
  6. Sandy New Member

Yes, Sure if your report dynamic then you need to use matrix report, thats what the matrix report designed by Microsoft Corp.
    Matrices
    A matrix, or crosstab, is like a table, but both columns and rows can expand to accommodate data. A matrix can push other report objects downward and outward on the report page. You can group data and also nest columns and rows within the matrix.
    Check this : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966445.aspx
    Hope it will help you now.
    Thank you,
    Sandy.