SQL Server Performance

Creating Index on the subcription database tables

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by rembersu, Dec 8, 2008.

1. rembersu New Member

Hi All, We have Transaction Replication pull subscription setup between our production server and our reporting database. The indexes on the Publication table are not copied to the subscription tables. only the index from the primary key is create on the subscriber tables. we have performance issues in the subscription database since there are no indexes. can i create indexes on the subscription database to improve the performance of some of the stored procedure in the subscription database. will it break the Transaction Replication. Also can you please let me know if there is away that I can copy the indexes also from the publication database.Thanks in Advance.Rembersu
  2. ndinakar Member

Yes you can create your own indexes on the subscriber. Before you setup replication, backup the database from publisher, restore on subscriber then setup replication without initializing since you already have the data (and the indexes of course).
  3. rembersu New Member

Thank you Dinakar!I have a quick Question. Will there be any performance issue for the Transaction Replication since i have indexes created on the Subscriber tables Please advise.Thanks in AdvanceRembersu
  4. ndinakar Member

There might be. Indexes always have maintenance overhead, but if the benefit outweights the cost then they are worth it. Test. Test. Test.
  5. rembersu New Member

Thank you Dinakar!