SQL Server Performance

cube help

Discussion in 'Analysis Services/Data Warehousing' started by tavi, Aug 1, 2007.

1. tavi New Member

hello everybody,
    i am rather new in this OLAP bussiness. i've build a cube that has both dimension tables and fact table updating from day to day.
    how can i update the entire cube daily? by having a Sql Server DTS make this i realized that the cube data was not reliable.
    I've made the data reliable by counting again dimensions members and reprocess the cube. Still, i cannot do this day by day, cause it will take long time.
    Any suggestions on this matter?
    Thank you
  2. satya Moderator

3. tavi New Member

Hi,
    Thanks a lot for the documentation. first link realy helped.
    Question: updating the dimensions has the same logic as Incremental Update of the main data?
    I have updated a dimension, and the number of dimension members didn't get modified(i see that by counting them after) !!!
  4. satya Moderator

How often you refresh your fact table depends on your business needs, so be sure to check with your users. Populating the dimension tables is much trickier than populating the fact tables. Some dimensions are relatively small and static. After you have created these, you almost never have to worry about them again. When you're working with frequently modified dimensions, you have to warrant the capability to rebuild the dimension before you rebuild the fact table. Therefore, you might want to put the whole rebuilding routine in a transaction.
    What is the service pack of AS server you are running?
  5. tavi New Member

Service Pack 4.
    What do you mean by: "put the whole rebuilding routine in a transaction." ?
    A DTS package that would do Incremental Update & Incremental Update Dimensions could be a transaction or ....?
  6. tavi New Member

Hi again,
    it seems that there was a mistake into the initial concept of the cube. i removed some dimension and now i have correct data...
    still those missing dimensions that i have now, were important. how can i found those problems.
    maybe this error helps: "unable to find automatic join between the ccube fact's table and the following dimension table(s): ........ these tables must be joined manually in cube editor "
    thanks
  7. satya Moderator

Have you observed the same error even though after refreshing the cube?
  8. tavi New Member

9. satya Moderator

So have you joined them manually as per the message using the BIDS?
  10. tavi New Member

i think BIDS is a 2005 tool. i'm working in 2000.
    still, yes i joined them manually
  11. satya Moderator

Yes it is, my mistake here.
    If so I suggest to refer the issue to MS PSS for any fix as I don't see much information on SQL 2000 OLAP issues.