SQL Server Performance

Cumulative Patch for Microsoft SQL Server (815495)

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by satya, Jul 24, 2003.

1. satya Moderator

Get more details from this MS Link [http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-031.asp]

Recommendation: System administrators should apply the security patch to affected systems.

Affected Software:
    - Microsoft SQL Server 7.0
    - Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE) 1.0
    - Microsoft SQL Server 2000
    - Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000)
    - Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (Windows)

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  2. vbkenya New Member

I will not be surprised if users get hit by malicious code in spite of the availability of this patch. Remember "Slammer"?. Maybe MS should think about a LiveUpdate feature for SQL which can be enabled by choice. Or is there one ?

Nathan H.O.
    SQL-Server-Performance.com
  3. gaurav_bindlish New Member

I think that is going to be a part of Yukon. Till now there is no such thing like Automatic update for SQL Server.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard
  4. satya Moderator

I agree, may be this is the area which MS should fine tune the process to update the patches automatically or speed up the patch releases.

_________
    Satya SKJ
  5. gaurav_bindlish New Member

In fact automatic update for every patch won't be a good idea. Sometimes, infact with the latest SP3, there were some problems introduced into the system and also some service pack changes may break some applications. For instance SP3 introduces a concept of locking down database chaining. For these kind of changes, the application team has to prepare in advance and applying these ad-hoc changes to production environment will create chaos.

So in my opinion it would be wise to have two categories - security updates and bug fixes, which get insatlled automatically and functional updates, which administrtaor has control on.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard
  6. jnguyen New Member

I installed the patch last week on my own PC and after a reboot, the mmc no longer works. I applied it on all our servers, which are Win 2000 Servers, but my machine is WinXP. The SQL Query Analyzer works but every time I open the Enterprise Manager, an error prompt which asks me if I would like to send the error to Microsoft. I realized that I had not install the Win XP SP1 after going to WindowsUpdate.Microsoft.com, so I installed SP1a and other additional critical update. But MMC gives the same error. Does anybody know what the fix for this would be? Or is anybody else experiencing the same thing?

It doesn't look like there's an uninstall for the patch. Perhaps I should just uninstall and reinstall SQL Server installation?

If anyone can help, please respond. Thanks.

J
  7. satya Moderator

First of all check event viewer for any information that would give to assess the situation for this behaviour.

_________
    Satya SKJ
  8. vbkenya New Member

With patches causing problems, you might feel sympathetic to those admins who adopt a "wait and see" attitude. The same attitude may lead to their respective systems being hit and Ms laying all the blame on Admins for not reacting to 'patch availability' announcements.

Where does MS draw the line between 'a patch' and 'patchy work'?

Nathan H.O.
    SQL-Server-Performance.com