SQL Server Performance

Cumulative Update 9

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Aug 21, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

With the release of SQL Server 2008, it appears that SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 has fallen off the radar for many people. I have to admit that I have not installed SQL Server 2005 for a few weeks. This morning I was working with a customer designing a deployment for a new ERP system; the vendor does not yet support SQL Server 2008 so the install will be performed on SQL Server 2005. I was documenting the build process and could not remember the build number for Cumulative Update 8 for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2. When I went searching online I found that Cumulative Update 9 is now available.
    SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 was released on 19 February 2007, which is over one and a half years ago. Although it has been announced that SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 will be released before the end of 2008 it does not seem to be soon enough for many people. The Connect item for SP3 continues to get several comments each day supporting the release of SP3. Do you think that Microsoft is doing enough to release Service Pack 3 for SQL Server 2005?
    - Peter Ward