SQL Server Performance

Data division between files in same filegroup

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by contactjimmyus, Oct 21, 2010.

1. I have a db with one file group having 80 gb size on a single file.I wish to create one more file on the file group to divide the operations
    If i create a new file on the same file group how the data on the 80 gb file will be shared amoung the files or new inserts will only be divided between the files on the file group
    Does anyone come across this issue .Please advice
    Thanks
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

I can't follow you.
    If you create a new file in the same filegroup, said PRIMARY, I don't think you will gain nothing.
    Now if you create a new filegroup, said SECONDARY, in other physical disk, then you can move some tables to the new filegroup to improve performance.
    Could you explain a little more what is the issue?
  3. I have end of day process on the database and it takes a long time(1.5 hours) and hope that by dividing the data between files on the same file group
    and share the 80 gb data between the two files ,we can get parallel query performance.Also we can reduce the 1.5 hour process
    The db is propritory and canot change the procedures.What we can do it to turn the database and get the best out of it
    Thanks
  4. ashish287 New Member

cant you filter your query to send limited records as much required.
    I will suggest you better look for execution plan of the query and then make any further decision.
  5. charlii New Member

Well you need to execute the files first.