SQL Server Performance

Data Flow

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Ksr39, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Ksr39 Member

Hi Experts,
    I just wanted to know how much I/O is done on a particular database per day. How can I find this on a single database?
    Please help me on this to know the data DML operation done on a single database. This is for analysis purpose so that I can check for the storage for future.

Thank you all in advance.
  2. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

First , welcome to Forums ..

I am expecting you are seeking IO capacity utilization not such statistics of IO throughput , IO stall waits ,Page IO latch waits….etc , therefore, you can use UCP monitor of SQL Server 2008 R2 to get numerous statistics for IO capacity utilization for different aspects such as below

· Each Database

· Each DB file either .mdf .ndf or .ldf but not filestream

· Each Disk hosting these DB files plus other files like backup files , file stream files

And moreover, the entire of these statistics are recorded as graphical charts along one hour ,one day , one week ,one month and one year besides of its rich dashboards that can show out where areas of overutilization

( >=70% by default) , underutilization (if exists) for any of DBs or Disks hosting DB files only as explained above.

This dashboard can work more effectively for operational teams if its polling interval of monitor is changed from 15 minutes ( default ) to something appropriate like 5 minutes by just altering the schedule of sys_utility_mi_collect_and_upload job exists on monitored SQL Server instance…

Kindly note it is a new feature where UCP instance should be of SQL Server 2008 R2 version and onwards but it can monitors any SQL Server instance of SQL Server 2008 and onwards

You can learn more about UCP and how to configure it through http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210548.aspx

Kindly let me know if any further help is needed
  3. riyaraj New Member

i think IO capacity utilization not such statistics of IO throughput , IO stall waits ,Page IO latch waits….etc , therefore, you can use UCP monitor of SQL Server 2008 R2 to get numerous statistics for IO capacity utilization for different aspects.