SQL Server Performance

Database backup taking much time

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Ksr39, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Ksr39 Member

Hi Experts,
    Today one of my database took more than expected time for backup i have no idea why it took much time, can any one help me in this if any one gone through this condition/situation. your suggections could help me out in future.
    The size of the backup is 30GB and the server is SQL Server 2005 enterprise edition on windows 2003 enterprise edition.

Thank you in advance
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Any maintenance job running at the same time?
  3. ghemant Moderator

Hi KSR,

As Luis mentioned, did you observed any maintenance activity while backup job was running ? I would suggest check job history and SQL Logs of said time frame to get more details.
  4. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

I do forecast that another un-scheduled backup job is running side by side with your scheduled backup jobs yielding to clashes ( Heavy locks ) between both jobs ending up with delay for the 2nd one ..

May you check on this assumption and let me kwon your feedback
  5. WingSzeto Member

Contention issue like Shehap described is likely what caused the delay. Another possibility, although it is less likely, is hard disk (or raid) issue. When it happened, it delayed our backup 10 folds. Check the windows event log and make sure there is no disk issue.
  6. Ksr39 Member

Hi All,
    Thank you for your valuable time and for your suggestions. I was doing the backup from a cmd window and it is to a local drive and I usually do the regular backup job's to SAN drive from my maintenance plan. I have no idea what might be the prob. No there was no job running other than this one.

Thank you All in Advance.