SQL Server Performance

Database design tips for a shopping website

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by nikie20, Feb 26, 2012.

1. nikie20 New Member

Hi ,
    I am new to sql .I want to design a database for a shopping website that tracks the payments of customers.How can i make sure my design is secure ,I understand that the logical and physical design should be perfect.But I am concerned about storing the payment details . If I want to store the customer crucial details like credit/debit cards and pins what measures should i take to make them secure in my database. Also this design is for an audience of 10 million clients.
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    Sorry, but somehow it sounds adventurous that you are new to SQL and got tasked with this. Honestly, securing the data is much more than just securing the database, maybe by encrypting the data stored. It needs to take the combined efforts of all involved teams, such as client app developers, infrastructure guys, such as hardware, firewall, web server guys, etc... The overall security is just as strong as the weakest member in the chain.
  3. nikie20 New Member

Thank you for the information . I am sorry that I havent been clear. I am only familiar writing stored procedures and have designed database for my web applications. I am not at all familiar with the high end performance tuning required for large scaled applications dealing with crucial data. I have read about horizontal partitioning of data .Do you think its wise to use.
  4. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

First Welcome to SQL and Welcome to Forum..

Horizontal partitioning of data means here schema partitioning that is based on 2 main parameters :

· Partitioning function to identify range size and type like left or right..

· Partitioning Schema to identify the appropriate file groups (either Data file group of File stream groups).

Which I could see this regard goes in a different tier rather than security regard , thereby if you need to look for security regard , you have to seek some articles concerning TDE (Transparent Data Encryption) , Symmetric Encryption for data entity .

Might below links help you :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb934049.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179331.aspx
    nikie20 likes this.
  5. nikie20 New Member

Thank you very much.That was very helpful.