SQL Server Performance

Database doesn't connect ??

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by kasaranenikiran, Aug 13, 2010.

1. kasaranenikiran New Member

Hi All,
    Its not a real time question,,, But a question I faced in interview. Just wanted to if some one could answer it .
    We have a database which has 3 applications A,B,C connected. The users in the application can connect to DB and response time is good.
    The users in the Application B can connect to DB , but the response time is very slow. The users in the application C cannot connect to the DB.
    What could be the problem,,, how do you find out the cause and troubleshoot this situation ??
    Regards
    Kiran
  2. ashish287 New Member

Its not a real time question,,, But a question I faced in interview. Just wanted to if some one could answer it .
    We have a database which has 3 applications A,B,C connected. The users in the application can connect to DB and response time is good.
    The users in the Application B can connect to DB , but the response time is very slow. The users in the application C cannot connect to the DB.
    Is their graphical condition similar to A. Is network availability similar to A? What do you mean by slow? Is it reading slow or writing slow to database.
    If not able to connect then what is the error they are getting?
    But I think as its interview question, you better need to clear your basic skill first that how database and application works together.
  3. rohit2900 Member

See this is a very open question and whenevr this sort of questions been asked in an interview.... then they want to judge your attitude and your trouble shooting skills.... this means you need to cross question then as what Ashish has suggested like..... what you mean by slow??? if they're not able to connect what is the error they 're getting??? all three application using same login/user???
    and once they tell u something there can be more question based on their answer....
    Hope this answers your question.
    Rohit
  4. satya Moderator

Truely referred by Rohit here, in this case you can take help of articles on this website to see how best you can go about troubleshooting a performance problem.
  5. FrankKalis Moderator

I guess this is one of these trick question where the interviewer might not really be interested in hearing a solution, but rather seeing hwo you solve problems