SQL Server Performance

Database Health and capacity projection

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by mishrsk, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mishrsk New Member

Hi,
    Can somebody give direction on the following please.
    I wish to quantify workload and throughput of my SQL Server box containing one user database and want to make a statement like "The throughtput of my server is X and the workload is varying between Y and Z within last 3 months. Based on the current trend in workload we need to think of additional resources in W months".
    Is this possible with perfmon counters data collected historically?
    Thanks in advance of any response.
  2. MohammedU New Member

3. mishrsk New Member

Hi Mohammed,
    I have already evaluated this tool and in a process of buying it. The question is coming to my mind, what is the logic and counters they may be using? I won't be able to get a tool for each customer.. what is the principle governing measurement of the workload? I have figured out how to quantify the throughput.
    Thanks.
  4. satya Moderator

Do you have the complete idea on the business of your organisation?
    If so it will be easy to perform the capacity planning of the database instance, to me the best way to determine future storage needs is to analyze the past with an eye out for potential business changes that cannot be reflected from historical calculations.
    Further to this I'm quoting the references from the web resource that: "All businesses change and therefore those applications change as well. Some applications are retired while others are brought into the production environment". On a related, if you know you are bringing on a new customer that is going to double the revenue for the organization, odds are that you are going to have to plan for this storage.
    Links to plan further: