SQL Server Performance

Database Maintanace Plan

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by rayala.thulasi, Feb 2, 2010.

1. rayala.thulasi New Member

Dear Team.
    As part of the Database maintenance plan we are taking the Backups in Server on daialy basis whether full backup /transactional backups.Actually i am keeping data files and log files are in sepatate drives.Here i wolud like to know one thing like placing these backup files in Data drive is prefarable or not? i hope it's not a good practice placing the backup files in data drive.
    Can some one suggest on this whether we can keep backup files in Data drive or not and what will be the impact if we keep in same location?
    Thanks.
    Thulasi
  2. Elisabeth Redei New Member

Hello Thulasi,
    You made the right decision, it is NOT a good idea to put any backup files (database or transaction log backup) on the same disk(s) as your database. If that disk fails, your database AND your backups are gone.
    There is also a performance aspect; in which case it is also better/desirable to have backups on a separate drive.
    So there are two implications of keeping backups and "live" data on the same disk(s)
    1. Your Disaster Recovery plan becomes very weak because a disk failure means you loose everything
    2. Performance impact when your backups are running
    Does this answer your questions?
    Kind Regards,
    /Elisabeth
  3. rayala.thulasi New Member

Hi Elisabeth.
    Yes i got teh answer for my question. I have one more point like: if our Data drive is having more data our read/Writes will take time ? is i am right?
    Thanks for your reply on the same.
  4. Elisabeth Redei New Member

Hello again,
    Glad we cleared out you first concerns!
    I am not sure I understand your follow up question though - are you wondering whether a large amount of reads and writes might slow down the response time of your disks?
    Any disk subsystem has it's limit, and once you have crossed that, response times will start to increase. This may be number of reads/writes or amount of data your are reading or writing (or some combination).
    Kind Regards,
    /Elisabeth
  5. satya Moderator

What kind of storage issues you have at the moment?
    As I can see this is a big issue in compromising the DR facility, I wouldn't recommend this as a regular practice and only suggested in emergency situation. If you database is very then no way it is a good practice to keep the files there, as it will add fuel to the problem. `q
  6. Luis Martin Moderator

When you said: "more data", what you mean?.
    Your database have more data and is growing?.
    You have no database data in your server?.