SQL Server Performance

Database Renovation

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Sep 9, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

In large organisations, often the database team has a Database Architect role or maybe there's even a Database Architecture team. A Database Architect is responsible for strategic decisions and the overall design and development of the database platform used. However, I think the title for someone in this role is incorrect, as often he or she is tasked to restore an existing database to a better state. I think the title for this role should be Database Renovator. Anyone that has renovated a house will know that the experience of renovating while you are still living in the house is totally different from the experience of building a house from scratch. In the same way, modifying an existing database design while applications are using the database is very different from designing a database from scratch.
    When you renovate something, there are certain decisions that you make that you wouldn't normally make as a result of existing constraints. For example, if a wall is structural you are unable to remove it so you are forced to render it and give it a fresh coat of paint. Likewise, there are certain changes that you are unable to make to a schema because of the constraints that applications put on the database design. I think that this analogy is not limited to Database Architects and can be applied to anyone that is responsible for the interactions and dependencies between components.
    - Peter Ward
  2. Peter -I appreciate your perspective on Database renovation. It's always harder to work an environment where there are a multitude of dependencies of the Database environment. Well said.