SQL Server Performance

Database total space allocated - IDERA

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by dotng, May 2, 2004.

1. dotng New Member

Hi,

I have downloaded SQLCheck from idera, and after I ran a check, to my surprise, the database allocation has already hit 96%.

I read the description, and understand it to be total space allocated in MB. I checked my main database, and find that it has the following settings:

General
    1) Size of db: 14306.45MB
    2) Space available: 0.00MB

Data Files
    1) Automatically grow file
    2) File growth By Percent: 10
    3) Maximum file size: Unlimited file growth

Transaction log
    1) Automatically grow file
    2) File growth By Percent: 10
    3) Maximum file size: Unlimited file growth

Options
    1) AutoShrink

I'm worried about this "space available: 0.00MB". What kind of impact will it create?
    If I set all settings to unlimited file growth, does it mean my database can grow as big as my physical harddisk space allows? Does this also means I do not have to worry about database allocation?

(As the thread relates to third party tool, moved to the forum here, thanks)
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Because the option is AutoShrink you have space available: 0Mbyte.
    If you look in EM taskpad you (in that database) will find in grey actual space data, and in blue aditional reserved space to grow.
    AutoShrink redude from reserved to actual data, that dos not mean database can grow again when users begin to access database.
    Database can grow up to physical harddisk space.
    If you have no problem with that, I suggest to turn off autoshink and control space periodically to run shink when you need.
    Autoshink on, reduce performance.
    Try to shink after backup and before any Update Statistics and/or Defrag.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
  3. bradmcgehee New Member

I echo Luis. Autoshrink should almost always be off. There are very few cases where it might really be useful. All it does it to hurt performance.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com