SQL Server Performance

DB Associates SQL Lite Speed

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by thomas, Jul 17, 2003.

1. thomas New Member

I have been testing SQL LiteSpeed for backups and restores and the results are certainly very impressive. I'm trying to convince my employer to fork out for this for a couple of our older servers on which the maintenance window is very tight.

Any forumites had any experience with it, good or bad? Any problems with restores? And any problems backing up SQL Lite Speed files to tape from the disk using 3rd Party tape software like Veritas BE? And what do you think of the pricing? What's DB Associates support like?

Seems on initial investigation to be a very low-footprint product (implemented through a few extended stored procedures), good documentation, no loss of backup or restore functionality (move, recovery, striping etc).

I would like to hear recommendations or warnings!

Tom Pullen
    DBA, Oxfam GB
  2. satya Moderator

Its nearly 4 months one of the service is using LiteSpeed, since then no issues with backups and we tested the DR capability by restoring database backed up by this tool.

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. bradmcgehee New Member

We have yet to have any issues with SQL LiteSpeed. Support on their website has been quick in the couple of times I have used it.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
  4. thomas New Member

Do you think it's worth the $ ??

Tom Pullen
    DBA, Oxfam GB
  5. satya Moderator

Yes, go for it if you're sure to take advantage.

_________
    Satya SKJ
  6. thomas New Member

It seems excellent. Am now just trying to persuade those who hold the purse strings to pay for it!

Tom Pullen
    DBA, Oxfam GB
  7. smalldba New Member

Just going to quickly jump into this old thread. One problem with Litespeed is the inability to verify the backups. We had an issue this week when restoring a db from Litespeed backups and the log backups themselve were corrupted. Error applying the log was 'failed due to internal consistency error'. Im currently looking for alternative backup products which can provide this sort of functionality without comprising the compression, low overhead, etc.. that Litespeed provides.
  8. ykchakri New Member

I'm using SQLZIP from SQLZIP software and I don't have any problems so far with it, but I'm not sure if it is having an option to verify backups. It's a plain simple tool and is comparitively cheaper.

But, it does taks a long time to backup with high compression rate.
  9. Luis Martin Moderator

SQLZIP has not verify option, as far I know.
    And there is no big difference between high compression and speed option, so I allways use speed.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

10. JasonHall New Member

With regards to the verification error LiteSpeed certaintly does offer a verification of backup files. Simply perform an xp_restore_verifyonly procedure via TSQL or you can click the checkbox in the backup assistant. The internal consistancy error is not related to a LiteSpeed backup but is usually related to the hardward that the backup is on. This is mentioned in the following MSKB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/bin/kbsearch.asp?Article=268481

The best way to avoid this scenario in a disaster is to always verify your backups using the builtin verification functionality. Anyone who would like additional information on this should feel free to ask.