SQL Server Performance

DBA as local administrator?

Discussion in 'Please Tell Us What You Think' started by satya, Aug 10, 2005.

1. satya Moderator

I feel this is another debatable topic for us (DBAs) and the scale of this topic is really to focus on an enterprise wide network organisation and not related to the issue in smaller organisation.

- No local administrator privilege for SQL DBA on SQL Server.
    While on one argues that SQL DBA require local administrator access for all other functions they perform as opposed to database. During any problem resolution this feature is most likely help to fire-fight any operating system related issues. Otherwise one has to wait until the OS resource turnup to resolve the issue.

For instance if there is an issue with access violations (AV) errors on a server and root cause was due a memory leak. Then interim solution is to reboot the server and during heavy traffic if this causes then one should wait until the proper resource has been assigned to address the problem from outside Database team. This may take more time as expected to resolve any issue, quite often DBAs get a blame that issues were not addressed properly.

During similar instance at my end my policy was is to not run anything but SQL Server on the servers. The DBA's have full sa access to the entire database, the whole reason for the server existing.

I wonder what is the security threat of them having local admin on a SQL Server?

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

I think this falls into the "big concept" category. What do others think, before I add it as a topic?

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. satya Moderator