SQL Server Performance

DBA Role Question

Discussion in 'The Lighter Side of Being a DBA' started by thesuperdba, May 25, 2005.

1. thesuperdba New Member

HELP ME!

I am having a major difference of opinion with my manager regarding the role of the DBA and the management of junior database personnel. I believe, pretty strongly, that the DBA should be responsible for all aspects of database work from administration tasks to new development work and should be directing the efforts of the junior database team members. She, on the hand, believe the management of the junior database team members, and me as the DBA, should be performed by her and the DBA is only responsible for the technical aspects of the database environment. In essence, she is the DBA.

My reasons for this is the DBA will be able to be aware of all the database activities taking place in the database environment and will be able to better manage database request being made with the proper assignment of tasks to individuals based on work load and priority of tasks being performed for the purpose of producing a database environment that has a high level of data integrity, available databases, security, and high-performing databases.

My question for you is what is your environment like and am I nuts for thinking that the DBA should be directing the efforts of the junior database personnel to ensure a cohesive database environment? Is there anything, or anyone, out there that supports my point of view on the management of database personnel?

My job is on the line here.

Thanks,
    Chris
  2. fhanlon New Member

Its ok to differentiate between HR management and technical management. If your manager wants to differentiate between hiring, firing, reviewing the work of individuals as opposed to the direction of technical work fine. How is the work to be divided? Someone needs to be responsible for creating, setting up and reviewing backup stratgies. Is this you? What are the junior DBA's doing? - helping with development? Who technically reviews their work? If they are considered junior someone with technical expertise needs to review what they are doing and provide feedback. I am the DBA responsible for the production servers, backup, security etc. We have developers who are able to create databases (on a test server). In effect they act like Junior DBA's. I want to know what projects are in the pipe. I don't want to direct their work or assign priorities. I want to review their design and say yes or no. If the app is poorly designed performance problems may arise and then its clearly my responsibility. If these individuals were allowed to change anything on a production server I need to know about it and assess the impact. If my manager were to tell me that highly available systems are no longer a priority and I need to concentrate on security, fine. How much control I need to have over junior people depends on what they are doing and how work is divided. I agree that one DBA needs to be technically in charge. Even splitting responsiblity be server is dopey. Eg. THE senior DBA is total in charge of the main production server and some junior DBA is in charge of a secondary production server housing some minor (non critical) applications. Their needs to be technical consistancy but a manager can still do the HR related work. The manger does the overall long term goal setting. The senior DBA does the day to day task assignments. One day you may leave and one of those junor DBA's needs to be able to step up to a more responsible role.
  3. satya Moderator

The Database Administrator is responsible for designing, developing and implementing programs, as required, to support the technical capabilities.

Recently we have documented set of responsibilities at our end (including but not limited to):

• Develop new or maintain existing databases based on specifications
    • Develop, implement and maintain unit tests of database programs (i.e, SQL, etc)
    • Share knowledge by effectively documenting work
    • Respond quickly and effectively to production & development issues and taking responsibility for seeing those issues through resolution.
    • Resolve database performance issues, database capacity issues, replication, and other distributed data issues.
    • Design & implement data models and database designs into physical databases.
    • Install and maintain database software.
    • Manage backup and recovery of databases.
    • Manage security of database structures and corporate data held within databases.
    • Develop database procedures, triggers and SQL scripts for development teams.
    • Maintain database changes from Development, QA to Production.
    • Assist in the definition and implementation of database standards.
    • Monitor databases for errors and perform problem determination when necessary.
    • Design and implement highly available production systems.
    Qualifications:
    • Bachelor#%92s degree in technical discipline; or equivalent professional experience
    • Experience writing complex SQL, triggers, and procedures
    • Ability to work with minimal direction, yet also able to work in team environment.
    • Relational database analysis and modeling experience.
    • Experience configuring database network connectivity.
    • Understanding of database backup and recovery techniques.
    • Experience in fast paced production or operational system arena
    • Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills
    • Hands on and ownership personality..

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  4. dineshasanka Moderator

http://www.computerweekly.com/Article42138.htm says
    The DBA role naturally divides into three major activities: ongoing maintenance of production databases (operations DBA); planning, design, and development of new database applications, or major changes to existing applications (development DBA, or architect); and management of an organisation's data and metadata (data administrator). One person may perform all three roles, but each is profoundly different.

Read more for more information

quote:Originally posted by thesuperdba

HELP ME!

I am having a major difference of opinion with my manager regarding the role of the DBA and the management of junior database personnel. I believe, pretty strongly, that the DBA should be responsible for all aspects of database work from administration tasks to new development work and should be directing the efforts of the junior database team members. She, on the hand, believe the management of the junior database team members, and me as the DBA, should be performed by her and the DBA is only responsible for the technical aspects of the database environment. In essence, she is the DBA.

My reasons for this is the DBA will be able to be aware of all the database activities taking place in the database environment and will be able to better manage database request being made with the proper assignment of tasks to individuals based on work load and priority of tasks being performed for the purpose of producing a database environment that has a high level of data integrity, available databases, security, and high-performing databases.

My question for you is what is your environment like and am I nuts for thinking that the DBA should be directing the efforts of the junior database personnel to ensure a cohesive database environment? Is there anything, or anyone, out there that supports my point of view on the management of database personnel?

My job is on the line here.

Thanks,
    Chris

5. ChrisFretwell New Member

In our place we have a manager for HR related items and a Team Lead for the rest. Our manager is responsible from an HR perspective for 10 people (4 DBAs, a Data Architect, a BA, 3 database/report developers and me {I'm a former DBA who is now the team lead of the developers}) - but for daily work priorities, mentoring etc, there are 2 team leads. Our manager is also very technical (former DBA and architect) which makes it even better for all of us.

Its worked out fairly well for us. But every company is different and what works in one place may not work in another. Lots of factors play a role including the number of DBAs and Junior developers etc.
  6. Raj1979 New Member

DBA sould be responsible for the Administration of the databases. All of the tasks mentioned by Satya fall in the limits of DBA. Techincal Service Manager/ some one from management/ Lead engineer/ project lead should be responsible for maintaining the team, assigning work to the team. Management can contact a team member about possible resource for a particular task in which case you as a team member can help the manager in identifying the right resource.

Offcourse this can differ from company to company and how technically skilled are the managers and other things. Hope this helps.
  7. rockbold New Member

Thank you everyone for taking the time to write your opinions.
    Appreciate it.

rockbold