SQL Server Performance

Deleting the tables which are not been used from long time.

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Ksr39, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Ksr39 Member

HI Experts,
    Actually we are planning to replicate the prod data to our DR center. So, thinking to replicate only that data which are used, so I need a help in getting the tables which are not been used so that I can delete them, and replicate only those tables which are in use. I tried but couldn’t find the exact way. So, please help me in finding the exact tables which are not been used. And more over how to find the tables which are been used in Sp’s and Views, Where I found some tables which are not in the code but they are available in database.
    Thank you in advance
  2. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

As abstraction level of thinking about this cases , we should have some kind of DML auditing that can identify a date/time indicator for when data entity of any table has been updated /deleted /inserted.

Therefore, we have 3 tiers mainly:

1- The 1st tier is based on new SQL Server 2008 techniques used for DML auditing either :

· CDC ( Change Data capture) which can monitor historical changes of a certain set of tables but it has some drawbacks like transactions log inflation and you can read more about it at :

· Or (DCT) Data change tracking which can monitor last changes only of a certain set of tables which can be more adequate for your case and you can read more about it at

2- The 2nd tier is based on 3rd part tools like Guardium software of IBM..etc

3- The 3rd tier is based on using trigger which was the old Data capture technique for SQL Server versions prior to SQL Server 2008

Kindly let me if any furhter help is needed