SQL Server Performance

Design View Layout

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by defiantclass1, Feb 19, 2010.

1. defiantclass1 New Member

I know this may be a simplistic problem, but it's driving nuts. When designing a new view, I have all my tables in the upper portion of the design window. I have the tables spread out with all the joins between them in an organized fashion so I can easily see them. Although I save the view before closing it, when I reopen the view, the tables are all crunched together over to the left side and I have re-organize them so I can see everything.
    Perhaps not a big deal if you have only 2 or 3 tables, but I have many tables with many joins. It takes longer to sort them all so I can get a clear picture and I can actually see what I have, than it does to make the changes to the view I need to make.
    Does anyone have an idea how to get the tables in the views (in design mode) to stay put after closing it?
    Thanks
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    What kind of tool you are using in this caes?
  3. defiantclass1 New Member

Just the standard SQLView designer. As in, if you right click a view and open it in design view. You have the tables up top, the selected fields in the middle and the grid at the bottom......
    When you initially open a view, the tables are all pushed over to one side. I sort them all out so I can see all of the and I can see the joins. But when I'm done and close it, and open it again another time, they are all pushed to the side again.
    Some of my views have 15 tables in them. It's royal pain to have to reset them every time so I can see everything clearly.
    Thanks
  4. FrankKalis Moderator

At one point it may be better to get away from such graphical tools at all. They just constraint you too much by not supporting all that is possible. No support for CASE expressions, no support for CTE's. etc...
  5. defiantclass1 New Member

I know what you're say, but for what I'm doing, using the graphic tool works just fine, minus the problem I'm asking about. It's not the end of the world, it's just a pain. I thought there might be an easy solution I was over looking, but perhaps not.
    Thanks
  6. satya Moderator

HOw frequently you are changing the VIEW definition?
  7. defiantclass1 New Member

Oh, I have no idea. It's just a question I was hoping someone might have an easy, quick answer too. It doesn't seem so. No worries. I'm really not looking for an alternative or SQL coaching.
    Thanks anyway everyone.