SQL Server Performance

Difference between Log shipping in Full or Bulk Logged Recovery mode

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Log Shipping' started by davida37, Sep 3, 2008.

1. davida37 New Member

Hi,
    What is the difference between log shipping in Full Recovery mode and Bulk Logged Recovery mode?
    The aim for me, is to keep the size of transaction logs which we ship to a minimal size. I am not so bothered about using the transaction log files for recovery. need to keep the stand-by database in sync - in terms of data and in the way of index fragmentation.
    I have read that:
    ...."During defragging/indexing/re-indexing operations, the transaction log's backup files can become very large. To keep the size of the transaction logs to a minimum, you can switch between full and bulk logged recovery models (bulk logged operations minimally log indexing operations)."
    thanks,
  2. MohammedU New Member

If you are not worried about data loss in case of disaster you go with BULK-LOGGED recovery mode and log-shipping...
    Check the following from BOL:
    the bulk-logged recovery model increases the risk of data loss for these bulk-copy operations, because bulk logging operations prevents recapturing changes on a transaction-by-transaction basis. If a log backup contains any bulk-logged operations, you cannot restore to a point-in-time within that log backup; you can restore only the whole log backup.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190692.aspx
  3. davida37 New Member

thanks Mohammed