SQL Server Performance

Difference betwen configured values and runing vau

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by sns_subash2002@yahoo.com, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Hi ,

In the server perporties in Memory tab can you please let me know the difference between configured values and runing vaules, if I go with running values how do I come to know when to increase the RAM.

Thanks,
    Srinivas.Sista
  2. satya Moderator

IF your server is stressed and hungry for memory then you need to optimize the settings by hiking the values under SP_CONFIGURE results.

In general it is recommended to leave under configured values and memory settings to dynamic.

Satya SKJ
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  3. Luis Martin Moderator

The difference between configured and running values is configured will set to running after you run RECONFIGURE. Some of then need to stop and start sql also.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

Nunca esperes el reconocimiento de tus hijos, eso ocurrirá luego de tu muerte

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

4. Luis Martin Moderator

Hi Luins,

I am sorry I didn't understand, can you please explain me more in detail. difference between configure and running values.

Thanks,
    Srinivas.Sista

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you run sp_configure in Query Analyzer you will see all SQL configurations.

Suppose you need to change 'recovery internal'. To do that you have to run (just an example)

USE master
    EXEC sp_configure 'recovery interval', '3'

After that in you run again sp_configure you will see in 'recovery internal' two values. One is actual running and the other (3) is configured.

That is the difference between running and configured.

If you run RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE the value 3 will set to running.

Not all values work like this. For some you have to stop and start SQL after you change with sp_configure.

Luis

Luis Martin

Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

5. Luis Martin Moderator

Hi ,

Thanks for your relpy, but if you have 10-15 DBA working on the same server how can you identify who as done it?.This is a live example that I am facing.

Thanks,
    Srinivas.Sista

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No way at all.

Luis Martin

Leonardo Da Vinci

6. satya Moderator

If there are too many SYSADMIN privileged accounts on the SQL Server, then it is better to consolidate the actions by using a tool to audit the events. By using Lumigent's entegra or other tools you can achieve this. In general SQL Server will not keep a history of user defined configuration on system databases.

The way to avoid such confusion state is to deploy a tool to audit the events on SQL Server or use PROFILER (server side trace) that could be tedious if the server is already having resource crunch.
    Or avoid too many SA on the SQL Server.

Satya SKJ
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.