SQL Server Performance

Difficult Situation

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Rabani, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Rabani New Member

HI Friends,
    Can somebody please, let me know what can be a most difficult situation in a SQL DBA'S job? Cann somebody share their experience with me?
    Thanks
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Be fired?. (bad joke).
    Is hard to said.
    Have a crash and don't have one backup?
    I think you have to be more explicit.

3. satya Moderator

Good one Luis..
    The important aspect of DBA role has been highlighted by Luis here that Backups are foremost factor to save your data or provide point in time recovery, but there is a catch that don't assume that if you have taken backup your data is safe. You must restore the backup on a standby server or if you don't have one occassionally restore it on other name to ensure the backup file is consistent or not corrupted.
    A kind of DBA you need isn't really a matter of which DBMS program you're using, but what you're using it for, so the key to success is monitor and fine tune pro-actively rather than waiting for a problem to happen.
  4. Rabani New Member

Thanks a lot, Satya and Luis.
    I have some more questions.
    1. Can somebody please, let me know what type of database can have most difficult schema and how can we fix it?
    2. Can we create a report in reporting service if the data is in Oracle?
    Thaaanks a lot
  5. Rabani New Member

Hi Friends,
    Can any body tell me that what can be the reason that a store procedure was working till yesterday but doesen't today and how can we fix it?
    Thanks a lot
  6. Adriaan New Member

No, we can't. You're only telling us that it doesn't work, and we're not clairvoyant.
    Are you seeing error messages?
    Also, please start a new thread for a new question.
  7. FrankKalis Moderator

[quote user="Rabani"]
    Can any body tell me that what can be the reason that a store procedure was working till yesterday but doesen't today and how can we fix it?
    Thanks a lot
    [/quote]
    First thing to make sure is that the code of the procedure didn't change. Nor the code calling the procedure. I know, we developers always say that nothing changed, but it is still worth checking that. [:)]
  8. satya Moderator

Frustation is your best friend if you panic and asking open-ended questions without any clues, as referred by Adrian it is better to open up new threads for problems and before that make sure to search thru the forums for relevant tips & references.