SQL Server Performance

Digital Rights Management

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Aug 25, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

Something that infuriates me is the Digital Rights Management that is used to protect various forms of media such as music and videos. My wife and I are fans of the television series River Cottage, mainly because I think that one day we would like to run away from it all to a small farm in the country. Unfortunately, the DVD series is not available in Australia so the first thing I tried to do was go online to purchase the individual episodes. I could have ordered the series DVD but rather than wait for the DVD to be shipped to Australia I thought I would download the episodes and burn them to DVD. This is when the fun really began.
    When I tried to purchase the episodes I was advised that I could not purchase them, as I did not live in North America. No problem, I have a U.S. postal address so I used this address instead of my home address and I was able to purchase all of the episodes. I then needed to download a client application so that I could download each of the episodes. When the application started it detected that my IP address was not in North America so I was unable to download the episodes. Not one to be easily defeated I knew I would be in the U.S. in two weeks so downloaded each of the episodes while I was there. Over the weekend I had some free time so I decided to burn each of the episodes to DVD only to find that DRM only allowed the episodes to be watched on the computer where they were downloaded. I am sure many of you have similar stories of frustration with DRM. I understand that there is a need to protect media from piracy but I think that these hurdles increase piracy rather than decrease it. After this experience I am sure many people would look for a torrent site next time rather than purchase content online. Why not watermark media purchased online with the credit card details of the person that purchased it? That would certainly prevent it being distributed and remove the need for DRM.
    - Peter Ward