SQL Server Performance

Discontinued Features

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by techbabu303, Apr 21, 2009.

1. techbabu303 New Member

Hi All,
    It was today made a visit to the link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144262.aspx , one item in list which caught my attention is the option
    BACKUP LOG WITH NO_LOG and explaination given for the discontinuing is something which is true but not thing to be done databases which need FULL RECOVERY mode for TLOG backups for point in time recovery.
    Yes we all agree the log management in FULL RECOVERY mode is done when automatic checkpoint happens TLOG back up occurs and etc, but this feature is required for any DBA to reduce the size manully if need be.
    I cant recollect a earlier post in forum where a DBA did not prefer using this option, used another way to reinitilaize the logs. Please do share your thoughts and experiences on the same.
    -thx
    Sat
  2. dineshasanka Moderator

My guess is, this is due to a security.
    To backup you need database role while change the recovery model you need a server role. This is a guess
  3. satya Moderator

You are right that this is not a regular option which is used regularly within Production environment, as per the BOL notes "The transaction log is automatically truncated when the database is using the simple recovery model. If you must remove the log backup chain from a database, switch to the simple recovery model."
    If you need to reinitialize the logs only the way is to use CHECKPOINT or perform Tlog backup, as this is causing mismatch of LSN it will be discontinued in future versions of SQL.