SQL Server Performance

Diskperf

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by josephobrien, Jan 15, 2003.

1. josephobrien New Member

All,
    Any feedback on running diskperf and its associated overhead.
    What has been your experience. The other issues is once you have turned it on, do you leave it on always?

Joe E O

2. bradmcgehee New Member

From my experience, it offers no noticable difference in performance, and I always leave it on. I have not run into any negative issues with it at all.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. satya Moderator

4. HarryArchibald New Member

My understanding is that ,when using Windows 2000, diskperf does not need to be used. I monitor 14 servers, all using Windows 2000, and they all have disk performance counters available.
  5. josephobrien New Member

We use 2000 Advanced server and the disk performance stuff is not available by default
    - but my Windows 2000 professional pc does seem to have them on
  6. bradmcgehee New Member

Maybe this tip on my website will help:

In Windows 2000, disk counters work differently than they do under Windows NT Server 4.0. Unlike NT Server 4.0, the physical disk I/O counters are turned on by default, but not the counters for logical I/O. In most cases, the physical I/O counters are the only ones you really need to monitor for performance. The following diskperf options are available under Windows 2000:

diskperf: When run by itself, it lists which disk counters are turned off or on.

diskperf -y: Turns both physical and logical disk counters on.

diskperf -yd: Turns the physical disk counters on.

diskperf -yv: Turns the logical disk counters on.

diskperf -n: Turns off all disk counters.

diskperf -nd: Turn off the physical disk counters.

diskperf -nv: Turns off the logical disk counters.

diskperf \computername: Specifies on which computer, local or remote, on which diskperf runs. If not specified, then the local computer is affected.

Once any change is made using diskperf, it won't take affect until the computer is rebooted. [7.0, 2000] Added 9-13-2001

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com