SQL Server Performance

Do We Need Transactions?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Nov 7, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I was talking to a colleague today over lunch who was intrigued by the replay that he watched of the presentation Steve Ballmer made in Sydney yesterday. The presentation targeted a developer audience; hence, it showcased Visual Studio 2010 and Azure. Although the presentations were developer focused there was mention of the platforms that will support Azure including SQL Server Data Services. One of the points made was that SQL Server Data Services will not support Transactions. Now I am not sure if this is true or not as I have not listened to the presentation, so perhaps the persons I was having lunch with had a few too many red wines with dinner.
    It got me thinking though: what good is a database without transactions? Earlier versions of the MySQL database engine did not support transactions, which I think is why MySQL is often the first choice when designing Web sites. As many Web sites are read-only, they do not require transactions. When you think about it though, the revenue that Microsoft makes is through the sale of licences. If all of a sudden you can access SQL Server in the cloud for only a few dollars a day, why would you buy a SQL Server licence? By making a scalable version of SQL Server available at a very low price point it allows Microsoft to upsize from the cloud version to Standard and Enterprise editions. Where do you think SQL Server in the cloud fits in based on the existing SQL Server revenue models?
    - Peter Ward