SQL Server Performance

Do You Patch?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Aug 27, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

Most organisations are aware of the need to ensure that the latest patches and Service Packs are installed on the systems in their environment. Network and system administrators are aware that each month Patch Tuesday means that there will be another round of patches that need to be deployed to each of the servers that they manage. As with the staff members that look after the server environment, Database Administrators are aware of the need to apply Service Packs when they are released. However, there are two very distinct thoughts when it comes to applying SQL Server cumulative updates. There are those that apply them and then there are those whose SQL Server build is still SQL Server 2005 SP2 with GDR2.
    There has been talk that Service Packs for SQL Server will be replaced by the scheduled release of cumulative updates; however, public opinion has somewhat changed this with the planned release of Service Pack 3 for SQL Server 2005. One of the tenants of the Trustworthy Computing initiative is communication. That is, communication regarding the availability of patches and the process to deploy the patches. One area that is clearly lacking for SQL Server is clear guidance on whether cumulative updates should be deployed or not. Do you install the latest cumulative updates or are you waiting for Service Pack 3?
    - Peter Ward
  2. markjohnson817 New Member

Unless we have a clear need for the updates, we wait for the service pack. We do this based on the disclaimers that tend to come with the updates. for example"A supported cumulative update package is now available from Microsoft. However, it is intended to correct only the problems that are described in this article. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing these specific problems. This cumulative update package may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by any of these problems, we recommend that you wait for the next SQL Server 2005 service pack that contains the hotfixes in this cumulative update package. "
  3. unclebiguns New Member

I follow what MS says about the cumulative updates. I only apply them when I have or am experiencing the problem. Otherwise I wait for the SP.
  4. CRose New Member

Service Pack definitly. Unless Microsoft has changed it's policy, monthly patches and hot fixes are not regression tested where as fixes, included in the services packs are.
  5. Vaelen New Member

In the case of any Microsoft product SQL or not I will never even deploy the release version before Service Pack 1 has been released and tested. Otherwise I will generally make use of cumulative updates.
  6. unineurone New Member

Preferably a Service Pack. The rationale for a cumulative update would be the number of issues we encounter that are fixed by the CU pack, or, as quite often, PSS recommends to apply it to fix the case you have just reported.As it turns out, patching for MS08-040 was easier through CU8 than applying another QFE to the systems.