SQL Server Performance

Do You RSS?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Sep 15, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I read a comment on a blog today that very few people in IT that are classified as IT professionals subscribe to RSS feeds, whereas those that are classified as developers subscribe to RSS feeds. Personally, I would consider a DBA to be classified as both an IT professional and a developer. I think a good DBA is someone who not only understands how infrastructure impacts the database but also understands how applications access data. I have met plenty of DBAs that do not know the impact that different versions of RAID has on a transaction log and I have also met plenty of DBAs that do not know how to optimise ADO performance. So what type of DBA are you classified as, or do you sit in the middle between IT professional and developer?
    - Peter Ward
  2. beachbum714 New Member

I've been a developer for the 17 of the past 26 years. I finally changed careers to being a DBA last summer and also as a Sys Admin last winter. At this point in time I haven't done a thing with RSS but guess I ought to look into it.
  3. ibsteve2u New Member

Having - however uneasily - operated in both worlds, I will say that I agree that many "IT professionals" indeed do not subscribe to RSS feeds, which provide a means of learning about the nuts and bolts of existing and cutting edge technology as well as people's real-world experience with that technology.Unfortunately, it is my observation that those who label themselves as "IT professionals" tend to allow people like Gartner to tell them what to think, and further permit the salespeople with the largest expense accounts to tell them what to buy.My observation is that the transition from "learning, then deciding" to external direction happened in the late 1990s, with the result that whenever new technology or software was being considered the guaranteed first question became "Who else is doing it?".That is why outsourcing and offshoring took off like lighted match in a liquid oxygen plant: Gartner and their peers effectively said "Everybody is doing it!" long before that was actually true.And thus America began its slide into eventual obsolescence.
  4. I believe that our work as DBA's is only as effective as our ability to support the applications that use our databases. Therefore I would have to classify myself as more of a developer than just purely and IT Developer.