SQL Server Performance

Does AWE will support 64-bit O/S and 64 bit SQL Server SE 2005

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by rayala.thulasi, May 26, 2009.

1. rayala.thulasi New Member

hi all,
    i am facing some server level issue one of our Database Production server. Actually we have 16 GB RAM with 4 processors for database server. among this we have enabled 12 GB for SQL Server Max memory.at this point of time server cpu utilization is reaching to 100% , due to this application is getting hanged.now recently we have upgraded our RAM from 16 GB to 32 Gb and we have configured 22 GB for SQL Server and remaining for O/S.Still we are facing the problem with CPU utilization and again its reaching to 100%.
    here my doubt is : whether this 32 GB RAM will utilize perfectly or we need to do some changes in boot.ini file.
    i have idea on SQL Server 2000 we can enable that AWE / PAE to make use of the RAM perfectly in 32-bit O/S and 32 bit SQL Server. but i am new to this 64 bit environment.
    current configuration settings:
    name minimum maximum config_value run_value
    max server memory (MB) 16 2147483647 22528 22528
    Could anyone help me on this to resolve this issue...
    Thanks in advance,
    Thulasi.
  2. moh_hassan20 New Member

in 64 bit , you need not AWE / PAE in boot.ini (only in 32 bit). You are AWE.
    what edittion: stanadrd or Enterprise?
    if Enterprise edition only, you have to lock page into memory using the group policy.
    try to find what queries consume your CPU using DMV.

3. rayala.thulasi New Member

thanks for your quick reply ...
    we are using Standard edition with 64-bit SQL Server. i have identified all the queries which is taking max CPU utilization and i am in a progress of tunning them.
    Thanks,
    Thulasi.
  4. ghemant Moderator

5. moh_hassan20 New Member

Starting May 18, 2009:
    SQL Server 2005 SP3Cumulative Update 4 and SQL Server 2008 SP1 Cumulative Update 2, introduces support for SQL Server Standard editionsto use the Lock pages in memory user right
    review: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970070/
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187499.aspx

6. marat New Member

Hi Thulasi,
    I recommend you first to apply latest Service pack and cumulative update for SQL Server 2005
  7. madhuottapalam New Member

One reason behind excessive recompilation would be recompilation of SPs/queries ie not re-using the exsisting execution plan. Check that first.
    Madhu