SQL Server Performance

Domain groups in Cluster Security policy during install of SQL Server 2008

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Clustering' started by satya.sqldba, Mar 10, 2010.

1. satya.sqldba New Member

I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 on Windows server 2003 and have a question about the stage of 'Cluster Security Policy'.

We need to select 2 groups here, one for SQL server database domain group and the other for SQL server agent domain admin group.

My question is, is it different from service accounts that we used to specify in previous versions? I remember the wizard asking for service account that the sql services need to run under. Is this domain group part a replacement for those individual service accounts? If yes, do I need to have the service account added to a separate group and select that group in this part of 'Cluster security policy'?

Thanks
    Satya
  2. moh_hassan20 New Member

[quote user="satya.sqldba"]is it different from service accounts that we used to specify in previous versions?[/quote]
    No change for sql 2008 compared to sql 2005
    [quote user="satya.sqldba"] Is this domain group part a replacement for those individual service accounts?[/quote]
    you create a service account user in every domain group (with min. rights) and use these domain account users for the services using the wizard

3. satya.sqldba New Member

Thanks for the input
    I figured out what needed to be done. I had to

1. Create an AD group and add the service accounts to that group.
    2. Add the AD groups created above as local admins on each node of the cluster.
    3. Specify that group name in the page of 'Cluster Security Policy'

I was able to proceed after that.