SQL Server Performance

Drive Configuration for Dell R905

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by mkal, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mkal New Member

I have a DELL R905 w/2-quad core cpu's, 32GB RAM, Windows 2003 x64, SQL 2005 x64 and would like to know about the drive configuration.
    Right now I have 8 - 146GB SAS drives being used for two RAID 1, one is for the OS and one for the log files and the last 4 drives as a RAID 5. Would it be better to not use the RAID 1 for the log files but add it to the RAID 5 (for a total of 6 drives)? The databases will be both Write and Read intensive.
    Best Regards
  2. moh_hassan20 New Member

ok that configuration
    [quote user="mkal"] Would it be better to not use the RAID 1 for the log files but add it to the RAID 5[/quote]
    no, log files should be in separate physical disk, so let it on its raid 1
    what the size of database, number of concurrent users , expected Transaction per minute?
  3. mkal New Member

There would be 5 databases, ranging in size from 74GB - 5MB
    Total db size.
    Data:33601mb
    Log: 127445mb
    Number of users would be at most about 20 users most of them using an inhouse applications that reads/writes to only two of the databases. Otherwise there would be a number of SSIS packages being run against all but one of them manipulating huge result sets (10-100 of millions of rows).
    I don't have any current transactions per minute count for you but my guess is it would be low when running against the inhouse app and high when the SSIS packages run.
    Thanks!

4. moh_hassan20 New Member

The IO performance of the 4 SAS disks with RAID 5 is reasonable for that load
    plus the 32GB RAM help caching data.

5. satya Moderator

What is the capacity of the database, I mean the growth in next 3 to 5 years?
    How about the transactions are handled, bulk or minimal?
  6. mkal New Member

The two largest databases (40GB & 73GB) will probably grow by 5-10% over the next year. After that we will be removing old data which should keep the size relatively the same.
    On the big data loads the inserts will be fully logged for the 40GB database, this is because we have logshipping enabled and yes I realize what this does to the log. I've seen some size increases by 3-6GB after a large dataload. Right now I don't have any other options.
    Thanks.