SQL Server Performance

DTS package doesn't fully work in Win XP

Discussion in 'SQL Server DTS-Related Questions' started by ktkb, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. ktkb New Member

    Hi,

    I have a dts package in my VB application which works fine in WIN98,
    but when I tried to run it in WIN XP Home, my dts package doesn't fully
    work - only certain parts and the worst thing is that it doesn't give me
    any error.

    I'm supposed to use my dts package to generate some dbf files. Apparently,
    the files were successfully generated but there are no data in it. This only
    happens in winXP.

    I went to this website "Redistributing DTS with your program
    http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?225)" and found out that I only need 3 dll
    files to execute my dts packages in win98.

    The dll files which I registered are dtspkg.dll, dtspump.dll, axscphst.dll.
    I'm using MDAC 2.8.


    Can someone tell me what is my problem?

    Your help is much appreciated.

    kelvin
  2. satya Moderator

    What are the errors defined in WinXP environment while running DTS package?
    Check DTS package logs, event viewer & SQL server error log for information.

    _________
    Satya SKJ
    Moderator
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. ktkb New Member

    I mentioned that there was no error message at all after the dts package finished its task.

    The reason I said that it didn't work properly is because all my dbf files were created but no data
    in it.

    My WINXP is a client machine. There are not SQL Server installed.
    How can I check the package logs?
  4. ktkb New Member

    I found the solution to this problem.

    It's not the dll that's missing.

    It's actually the priority of task in the OS.

    I changed the DTS execution parameters.

    1st change:
    I limit the maximum no of task executed in parallel to lower than 2. Originally
    it was 4.

    2nd change:
    I set the priority class of the DTS package to high. Originally it was normal.

    Once I have done these 2 changes my results were no longer weird. All my data
    in dbf files are properly populated.

    I suppose that the OS is concurrently executing too many tasks hence may have 'neglected' the execution packages, maybe. This is the reason I could
    think of.

    Hopefully this helps those who are encountering the same problems as I did.

    Thanks to those who have tried to post your opinions/guidance.

    regards,
    kelvin

Share This Page