SQL Server Performance

DTS Wizard Doesn't Like Me - newbie question

Discussion in 'SQL Server DTS-Related Questions' started by triggy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. triggy New Member

I am just now beginning my journey towards becoming a legit DBA. I bought Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Step By Step and am already stuck on the first exercise dealing with the wizard, lol.
    I have SQL Server 2000 Developer on an XP personal machine.
    My error is, I go to Start-->Programs-->Microsoft SQL Server-->Import and Export Data.... hit next to Choose Data Source. Within here, I cannot choose a database from my (local) server. The Database dropdown hangs for a while then spits out the error:
    Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
    Error Description: [DBNETLIB][Connection Open(Connect().]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
    Context: Error during initialization of the provider.
    I appreciate any help. I am thinking this may be a general 2000 dba question and not a DTS-specific question. I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong place w/ this question.
    -Lost n00b
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the Forum & DBA World! [:D]
    First of all you have to ensure whether the local SQL Server services has been started successfully, also relevant protocols are enable from Server network utility, also ensure client tools are properly installed as this could be flaky issue of Enterprise manager.
    KBA to troubleshoot the error you are getting.
  3. triggy New Member

Thank you for your resposnse and the kind welcome.
    I went ahead and uninstalled/reinstalled SQL Server 2000 and accepted all the defaults as the book suggested and it is working properly now.
    I very much appreciate the KBA link. After reading, I suspect my problem was coming from: "The SQL Server name is different from the computer name." ... as this was the case on my first install, that I renamed the server differently from the name of my computer.
    I REALLY dig this DTS stuff and have already blazed through the first few chapters of my DTS book. If anyone has any book suggestions for a DBA n00b, I'm all ears! [8-|]
    Thanks.
  4. satya Moderator

Glad you are able to investigate the issue further, for DTS kind of information you can refer to http://www.sqldts.com website too.