SQL Server Performance

Dymanically Configured memory vs Fixed memory...

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by Simon_L, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Simon_L New Member

I'd always thought that, for example, a single server running nothing but SQL Server youd use dynamically manged memory and make sure you left some for the OS...

Now Im being told that no it should be set to a fixed size of 3/4 of the avail memory

I not sure I follow the rationale .. any views/words of wisdom etc etc ?

thanks si
  2. MohammedU New Member

It depends on what edition and version you are using..
    If you are using SE then no mantter what you do, it will use only 2GB in sql 2000.
    If you are using EE then it depends on how much memory you have, if you have more than 2 GB then configure min and max server memroy...
    How to configure SQL Server to use more than 2 GB of physical memory
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274750
  3. satya Moderator

What is the version of SQL you are using and available memory on teh server?
  4. Simon_L New Member

Hi
    thanks for the replies
    SQL 2000 sp4 Enterprise Edition
    Win server 2003
    4gb on the box
    No AWE etc enabled
    Its set to use 3gb constantly (Im guessing this means reserve up to 3gb not actually use 3gb constantly ?!)
    Using a perfmon and looking at working set SQL constantly uses about 1.5gb and avaible is around 1.4 / 1.5 gb.
    best wishes
    Simon
  5. satya Moderator

In general the SQL EE should take up the available memory on the sever, so now lets get more information on the operating system side configuration such as edition. As you say it is now growing more than 1.7 and so.